Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Kayla

P.J. greeted me at the door with a yawn. "Sorry," she said.

"It's early, I know but Jamie and I have to get to the volunteer center before nine," I said.

P.J. nodded. "She's in the shower. Coffee is made in the kitchen if you want some."

"Thanks." I headed to the kitchen and stopped short when I saw Lori standing at the counter in boxers and tanktop, fixing a cup of coffee. Groaning inwardly, I went into the kitchen. I had been drawn to Lori the first time we met, but I quickly found out that she was a player. I hated that my heart skipped a beat every time I saw her, but I couldn't help myself. She was beautiful with her long, chestnut colored hair, dark brown eyes and beautiful smile.

She turned to me and grinned. "Hey, Geek."

I smiled back. "Hey, Jock." The pet names had started within the first week we knew each other. When Lori figured out that I was a computer geek, she immediately gave me the nickname Geek. In response, I started calling her Jock.

I went to the cabinet and got out a coffee cup. Lori turned and looked at me. "What you guys volunteering for?"

"We are both teaching basic computer skills to a group of abused women."

"Fun," she said.

She went into the livingroom and I found my eyes looking at her tight butt and legs and she walked out of the room. I looked toward the ceiling, Lord help me not be so attracted to her, I thought to myself.

I put my usual two teaspoons of sugar and a teaspoon of creamer in my coffee. Jamie came out of the bedroom. She hadn't put on her make up yet so I figured we had at least another half an hour before we were going to leave. I looked at my watch.

"I know," she said. "I'm going to make us late. I slept in."

"It's cool. I know where the Learning Center is. I can call, Janis, the coordinator and let her know we'll meet them there."

"Would you?" Jamie asked. "I would really love to grab a bowl of cereal and put my make up on before we go."

"You look beautiful just the way you are," P.J. said, sliding her arms around Jamie from behind and kissing her on the cheek.

"You're biased," Jamie laughed and turned her head so she could kiss P. J. on the lips.

I slid past them into the livingroom and called Janis. Lori gave me a grin, knowing that I left the kitchen to give them some privacy. I got a hold of Janis and told her we would be running a little late, and then sit down in the chair next to the couch where Lori had her bed made up. "How's rooming over here going?"

Lori stretched out her long legs and threw her blanket over them. "Good. I don't get griped at daily. The only dishes I usually have to wash are mine and I haven't been forced to go to church once."

"Sounds good," I said.

She leaned towards me and whispered, "I do feel like a third wheel sometimes but I usually go to the library or something when I think they want to be alone."

I nodded. "What are you going to do in the long run?"

"I'm looking for a part-time job and I'm going to see I can find someone to room with."

P.J. came into the room and sat down on the loveseat. "You are not going to be able to work part-time and play softball, Lori. We told you not to worry about getting a place, you're fine here."

"I'm going to have to figure something out," Lori said. "I can't live here for the next three years."

P.J. nodded. "But, maybe we can get a two bedroom apartment for the same rent and you could have your own room."

"Thank you, but I would still be in the way. You guys are on your honeymoon," Lori protested.

"We want you here,"P. J. promised.

"That's right," Jamie said, coming in and kissing Lori on top of her head. "We love being able to help you. The most important thing is that you finish school."

"Right," P. J. agreed.

Lori dropped her head. "Okay, if you guys say so."

"We say so," Jamie said. She went around to the backside of the loveseat. P.J. turned toward her and Jamie kissed her lightly on the lips. "I'll see you guys this evening. Why don't we order pizza? We'll call Brandi and have her come over too."

"That sounds good," P.J. agreed. "You two have fun today."

"Yeah, right," I said, rolling her eyes.

When they were outside, Jamie asked, "Do you have a little thing for Lori?"

I blushed and looked away. "Why would you think that?"

"Because I saw the way you were checking her out when she wasn't looking."

My blush deepened. "She's very cute." She turned and grabbed Jamie's arm. "But please don't tell her. I am attracted to her but I'm not interested in becoming another notch on her bedpost."

Jamie nodded knowingly. "She does like to play the field a bit, doesn't she?"

"I think it's because she's terrified to really trust someone with her heart. I mean, her parents have thrown her out. Most of her family has turned her away." I shrugged. "I'd be the same way. Why take a chance on loving someone, when the people you've loved all your life have turned their back on you."

"I hadn't thought about it that way," Jamie said. "But I think you may be right."

No comments:

Post a Comment