Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pizza and Books

After spending most of the afternoon making love, Jamie and P. J. went down to the Jeep and retrieved the boxes that contained their text books. P. J. carried Jamie’s much heavier box and Jamie carried hers.  At the top of the stairs P. J. said, “My God, these books weigh a ton. I hope you don’t have to pack all of them every day.”

“No, I have two classes that meet Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and two classes that meet Tuesdays and Thursdays. That way I only have to carry books for two classes on any given day.”

P. J. set the box down and fished her keys out of her pocket. She unlocked the door and picked the box back up.  She went into the apartment first, followed by Jamie. The door was still slightly ajar so when Lori knocked on it, flew open, scaring Jamie and P. J. “Sorry,” Lori said and shut the door. “Hope you guys don’t mind me dropping by.”

“Of course not,” P. J. said. “We were just going to check out our new books then watch a movie. Want to join us?”

“I’d love that.” Lori followed Jamie and P. J. to the couch where they put the boxes down on the coffee table.  Jamie and P. J. opened their boxes and started taking out their text books.

Lori picked up the Norton Anthology of English Literature. “This is a monster book. Surely, the teachers are not going to expect us to read this whole thing.”

“No,” Jamie replied. “I’ve printed off my syllabus for that class and we will be reading selected stories.”

“Thank God,” P. J. and Lori said at the same time.

There was a knock at the door. Lori went to the door and opened it. Kayla and Brandi stood on the other side, both holding textbook boxes. Lori opened the door wider to let them in.

“We saw you all at the campus bookstore,” Brandi said. “We tried to get your attention but we were too far back in line for you to see us.”  She set her box down on the floor next to the couch.  

Kayla set hers down next to the loveseat. “That box weighs a ton. I may have to rent one of those lockers in Grise Hall so I don’t have to pack those things around campus.”

“Do you have all your classes on the same days?” Lori asked.

“Mostly,” Kayla said and flopped down on the loveseat. “I have Lit, Algebra and Geology on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The computer science class is on Tuesdays and Thursdays.”

Lori nodded. “I wish I could have done mine something like that but with my practices being the way they are, I had to take Psych and Lit in evening classes. My algebra and sociology classes are on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings.”

Brandi looked at Jamie, “I’m glad we can take ours kind of spread out. And, I totally could not be working or playing sports and going to school full-time.” She sighed dramatically and sat down next to Kayla. “Ya all make me tired just thinking about it.”

“Yeah, last year was much easier, when I wasn’t working,” P. J. agreed.

“A lot has changed since last year,” Jamie said. She looked around at her friends making themselves comfortable in her living room and smiled at P. J. “What do you guys want for dinner? I can cook up a pot of spaghetti.”

“I’ve got a little money,” Lori said. “You all want to go in on a pizza?”

“That sounds good,” Brandi agreed. She opened her book box and dug out her purse.

“Yeah, I’m up for that too,” Kayla said and pulled some money out of the front pocket of her shorts.

P. J. pulled her wallet out of the back pocket of her shorts. “Pizza it is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment