Monday, November 25, 2013

More Rewriting

It's funny, but I swear I've taken out more than I've added to The Circle of Confusion. I've re-written chapter one like four times now. But, I want it to be a really great chapter that captures the reader and makes them want to keep reading. Here's the current first three paragraphs of the story. What do you think?



I watched Carrie Davenport approach the plate pulling her blond ponytail tighter. She tapped the plate with her bat, and then turned to me expectantly, blue eyes blazing. I bent forward, the softball behind my back. Our catcher, Leshana Jackson gave me the signal to go a little high with the pitch. I knew she was right. Carrie had a weakness for the high pitches.
Winding up my pitch, I let the ball go with extra speed. As Leshana and I expected, Carrie swung and missed the high pitch. Carrie glared at me. I guess she thought I’d go easy on her after last night, but she should have known better.
Striking Carrie out ended the last round of games with Murray State. It also marked the first shut out of my college pitching career. Carrie threw down her bat and stomped back to her dug out. Leshana and the rest of my team rushed out to hug me.

No comments:

Post a Comment