Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Kayla

I had my back turned to the door when Lori came in. Jamie and I were sitting on the couch with my laptop working on our homework for English. Jamie looked over her shoulder. "Hey, Lori."

"Hey," Lori said. She dropped her backpack next to the loveseat and then plopped down on it.

I could feel her staring at me but I was not going to look at her. She had broken the cardinal lesbian rule, as far as I was concerned, and started dating a guy, an arrogant jackass at that. I know I shouldn't say that about a friend's brother, but Brandi's brother, Jayden is a jerk and I personally think he's just dating Lori to say he converted a lesbian.

And, I was mad at myself for letting myself develop a crush on her. I should have know better. She will not ever be attracted to someone like me. I'm just a computer geek.

"Whatchya guys doing?" Lori asked leaning over and looking at the screen.

"Homework," I said, a little more snippy than I had intended.

Jamie and Lori both gave me a questionig look. Lori sat back. "Sorry I asked."

I wasn't going to apologize. In fact, I needed to get out of her presence. "I need to get home," I said and started to get up.

Jamie pulled me back down and gave me a stern look. "We have to finish this." She looked at Lori. "We're working on the essay about Homer. Have you finished yours?"

"Mostly, Jayden helped me with it."

I pulled deeper within myself and bit my lip from making a smart-aleck comment.

I could see Lori studying me out of the corner of my eye. "I'm going to go fix myself something to eat," she said and got off the loveseat.

I didn't look up when she walked out of the room. I kept my eyes on the computer screen and typed some more information into the essay.

"What is your problem?" Jamie hissed.

"What?" I said evasively.

"You have been hateful to her for almost two weeks." I didn't say anything. Jamie took hold of my chin and made me look at her. "You really did like her, didn't you," she whispered.

I gave a slight nod and looked away.

Jamie sighed."Okay, let's wrap this up for today. We'll work on it again tomorrow at school.

"I'll work on it some more at home," I said. I saved what we had done and shut off my laptop. Jamie was still giving me a questioning look. I leaned closer and said quietly, "I'm having a hard time with her dating Jayden. I can't believe she switched teams."

Jamie nodded and looked toward the kitchen where Lori was making a bunch of noise fixing something to eat. "Me neither. I honestly don't think it will last. I think she is very confused right now and we need to be here for her."

I gritted my teeth but nodded. Jamie was right. We were supposed to be Lori's friends. I really should try to understand what she might be going through. It's not her fault I developed a stupid crush on her. "I still need to go though. I'm supposed to cook dinner for everyone tonight."

"Okay," Jamie said. She got up off the couch too and walked with me to the door. She gave my back a light rub and said. "I'll see you in the morning."

"See ya then," I said and left the apartment. I walked slowly to my car. I really needed to think about finding someone to date instead of obsessing over Lori. It would never work between us anyway.

I put my backpack in the backseat, crawled into the driver's seat, and called one of the guys from my computer class. When he answered I said, "Hey, it's Kayla. Do you remember telling me about that chick from the computer lab that you said I should hook up with?" He said he did. "She still interested?"

No comments:

Post a Comment