Monday, July 22, 2013

The Circle of Confusion is coming along.

 I'm at close to 25,200 words into The Circle of Confusion and its really coming along. Here's a tidbit:

What about you, Brandi?” Jamie asked. “Your mom is pretty religious.”

“And a Baptist no less,” Brandi said with a nod. “But my mom has been through a lot of shit and she knows a lot of other people whose lives are less than perfect so she’s more open minded than Lori’s parents. And, my mother is more concerned with my happiness. Clearly, they are not interested in Lori’s happiness. My mom also believes that our relationships with God are our own. And she believes that God is a loving and forgiving God, not a condemning God.”


“You know,” Kayla said, “I will never understand why these religious fanatics are so against us being happy. Okay, so being gay might be a sin in their eyes, but it’s our sin. It’s our relationship with our God that may be in jeopardy, which of course you all know I don’t believe any of that shit. But, I just don’t get why they are so violently against us making our own decisions about what we will feel God thinks about us being gay. I mean, I understand Lori’s parents wanting to protect her from herself, but she’s a grown woman and ultimately it’s her decision about her relationship with God.”


“Exactly,” I said. “I’ve read the Bible from cover to cover and I have my own personal relationship with God, who I think is going to love me no matter if I’m gay or not. But my parents are still of the frame of mind that if you are not absolutely perfect you aren’t going to Heaven.”


“But, are they being absolutely perfect by judging other people?” Brandi said.

No comments:

Post a Comment